Tuesday 20 May 2008

MAC SPILL


SPILT STUFF ON YOUR MAC? ALL MAY NOT BE LOST! 

Made the jump from P.C to mac at last and all was going well or so I thought!!!

So the macbook's  brand new and given to me all because I cant spell, £1000 quids worth, a  pimped up 13" for my pleasure (macbook black 2.4 GHz intel core duo, 2 GB ram, and a 232 gig drive).  I had finally started to get my head around the change of platform and was still amazing at the macs power and tricks (not to mention still laughing at mac sabre). So Im sat in my room doing research on the mac and socializing on my other laptop, having a nice cold bottle of san miguel. "time for bed" I think to myself, so the mac gets put on the floor (I know, I know), I do my routine and hit the hay, nice nights kip to be fair, I wake up and SHOCK HORROR!!, I look down to see in my sleep I knocked the last of the beer of the bedside table in my sleep and it landed on the mac and had the whole night to seep in, GUTTED! well thats not the word to be fair, so I turn the mac on with crossed fingers, toes, testicles and eyes, its bad news the buttons although all work take a second or two to register, BUGGER! 

Right what to do, after uncrossing my fingers, testicles e.t.c I decide to try and source a new keyboard, £170 fitted mmm not ideal for a skint student, £115 if I fit it myself, still not great, so the warranty is buggered anyway, I decide to take drastic action, I found a guide here on how to get the top plate off.

STEP 1 REMOVE TOP PLATE AND KEYBOARD

STEP 2

This is possibly the strangest thing Ive had to do to rectify a a classic Ric moment, so I managed to spill liquid on my mac, mmmm what will sort that out I think, yep you guessed it more liquid!! warm water with fairyliquid, very painfull to do.


  sat it in the water for a while shaked it about a bit and put it in the back of the car to dry. I cross everything again and reassemble, BRILLIANT!!! it made no difference what so ever! so I was sat head in hands on the floor of the surf shop I work in about to give up! (Id like to point out that this would have probably worked if it hadnt had all night to dry and congeal)  

STEP 3 A GLIMMER OF HOPE

Now this was an odd one, I went and chatted to some peeps down the local p.c shop for local people, and he recommended more alcohol! again odd but I was up for anything at this point, off to the chemist to buy some "Isopropyl B.P' for the princely sum of £5 for 500 ml, I used a small paint brush and carefully cleaned all the parts i could reach put in on a tee on the radiator to dry, so reassembly number 2, guess what, BRILLIANT!! it did nothing!!!


By this point i was ready to give up and in a bit of a huff,  i grabbed the bottle and held the keyboard over the sink and poured the whole bottle over the damn thing, and contemplated selling my soul for a new keyboard, a day or 2 later i put it back together and to my supprise the half the thing WORKED!!!!! YAY!
So with renewed motivation i trotted down to the chemist again for another bottle, and this time i used a water spray bottle to aim it under the keys and used a tub to catch the alcohol, i did this twice and put it back on the radiator to dry. 
Two days later the final reconstruction and all is well, all the keys are back to normal, m is a little touchy but its getting better after i took it off and gave it a good spray.

so if your thinking "SHIT I SPILT STUFF ON MY MAC!!" don't give up get some pure alcohol.
  

THE MAC IS BACK IN ALL ITS GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: